Most companies really don’t get the importance of blogging. As a freelance web designer, I know the importance of blogging but I rarely write blog posts and certainly don’t write as many as I should. I don’t rarely blog because I don’t think it is important, I rarely blog because I have limited time resources and I’m usually busy working on a website.
I can think of many things I have to do in my life, where I would rather be behind a computer screen. But what really baffles me is how major, large companies, disregard the art of blogging and building a following. Blogging regularly can help any company develop a loyal following, connect with customers, and drive traffic to their websites, which will in turn help raise awareness about their company and drive sales.
They have more money than they know how to spend and don’t realize that by building a brand, blogging, regularly, and having smart & witty social media people on their team that they can drive their sales to new heights. I won’t call out specific companies, because I may need a job from those very same companies one day, but I will say there are PLENTY of companies in Alabama who could do a better job with their marketing.
Important Rules To Remember When Blogging
- If you put it on the internet, people will find it, & people will read it. Just like I decided not to trash companies I judge to have poor marketing departments, you to should consider if writing something could ever hurt you down the road.
- Provide quality information & stay on topic. If you’re planning on starting a blog, decide on a topic and stick to that realm. It’s very easy when you have a medium to relay information (your blog) to post random things and get off topic. Just like I would love to post a ton of pictures of my dog on my blog, I make sure to stick to information related to websites & the internet because that is what my blog is focused on.
- Collect email addresses. There is no more important thing you can do when blogging than to collect email addresses. Emails directly to your customers inbox are very valuable and sending an email is free marketing. I’m sure soon down the road I will be writing about the do’s & don’ts of email marketing but using a quality service like MailChimp or ConstantContact is a great start to collecting emails and starting email marketing campaigns.
The Highlights to Have a Good Online Marketing Strategy
- Blog often – usually at least weekly
- Write relevant information that only you can provide to your client base
- Collect their email addresses and don’t spam them